Wednesday, October 1, 2014

how swiftly we choose it [Scripture Mastery Times: Joshua 24:15]

When I was in seminary, we would get awards at the end of the year if we memorized all the scripture mastery and read the books of study. I can't really remember what the awards were most years, but when we studied the Old Testament our prize was a little keychain with the acronym "CYTD" on it.

("CYTD" for "Choose Ye This Day")

I majorly, majorly wanted that keychain. I had to go out of my way to nag my teacher to make sure I met all the requirements, but it was worth it when I got that little thing in my hands. For a while I kept it on my scripture case, but eventually I grew up enough to need a set of keys, so onto my regular keychain it went. I loved it so much. I loved that it was a subtle reminder that the choice is mine, not only to serve the Lord, but to choose Him this day. ('Subtle' meaning that every hundred or so times I looked at it, I would remember to choose to serve the Lord. So it worked pretty well.)

Wish I could take a picture for you so you could understand the aesthetic I was into back then (bet I'd still be into it now), but unfortunately it fell off my keys one day and I've been sad ever since. Maybe I should get a vinyl.
15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Portions of this scripture are quoted in General Conference all the time (at least once a year), I think because we need the reminder. We commit to serve the Lord when we make covenants, but to remember this day and always that we've made the commitment can be a little difficult to remember, especially with all the other things we can choose (in whose land we dwell). If only we had a keychain or something.

I discussed a different aspect of this scripture here (still happy about everything I was happy about in that post).

No comments:

floral