Tuesday, October 28, 2014

feel the echo electrify the resistance

I've had ten or so MRIs on my left thigh. It's kind of a lot. But this week I received the excellent news that, pending my surgeon's approval, I never have to have an MRI again! (Or a CT. I have no idea how many of those I've had, but they're generally less painless. Or, well, they were in the past. The new policy of having a machine inject me with contrast solution is another great reason to be happy I never have to have one again.)

My first MRI ever was on Friday the 13th, February 2009. It was notable not only because it was my first (and also they gave me my first Lortab so I could work through the pain long enough to stay still for it -- guess who overreacted emotionally the rest of the day?) but they also, for some reason, gave me the negatives. So I took them home and took pictures of them.

At least the issue was super obvious. Hint: That big white spot shouldn't be there.
Then I just...had a lot more scans done. Before all my surgeries, at the end of my treatment, every 3 months after, then every 6, then (before recommended but I have a hard time making an MRI a priority) annually. Until today! Never again!

Gotta tell ya, MRI technology has moved on a lot in the past five and a half years. When I went in yesterday the staff allowed me to choose a soothing video of fall colors that played on the ceiling while we got set up. Also the mood lighting was nice (it was fuchsia). The first couple years I went in there was no option to really listen to anything, but for a while I've been taking advantage of the option to watch a movie on magical metal-free goggles (last year I even remembered to bring in my own movie in case none of the options spoke to me, but I forgot this year). That's been especially nice ever since the rod in my leg has doubled the time I spend in the machine. Who gets to watch almost an entire movie while remaining completely motionless the whole time? I do! (Not anymore, though! Guys I am so thrilled about this.)

Had I known it was my last scan, I might've been a bit more effusive in my gratitude toward the staff, who are always awesome and answer my dumb questions and help me not be lost. I did thank them, though.

Maybe I would've taken more pictures (especially of the magical MRI room -- it's so lovely). I did end up taking one picture that I will show below, because I thought it was quite funny.

So, I had a bit of a break between my CT and my actual appointment at the clinic. I could've gone to the cafeteria for lunch but haha there was no way I was going into the cafeteria. Not spending money, not being assaulted by cafeteria smells that haunt me to this day. So I brought a bagel and some potato chips and went and sat by the piano on the 3rd floor.

Anyone can play the piano. A young man was doing some nice work on it when I first walked by, but then he left and I thought, "I can at least do that well." Unfortunately my left hand was not cooperating so it was a little embarrassing because you can hear the piano just about everywhere. Oh well, I'm sure everyone enjoyed it anyway. I also busted out about two measures of Taylor Swift at the end because I could. And I couldn't stop myself.

Then I walked by the bathroom, and the thing-from-nature they'd chosen as a watermark on the sign made me laugh, so I took a picture.

A praying mantis? I guess we should be glad enough it's not a black widow.



No comments:

floral