Wednesday, February 10, 2010

for it's my thoughts that bind me here

*sigh*

Remember this post? (Briefly: my imagination goes crazy before/after dates or major social engagements replaying what I should have said or done.)

Turns out, even when I have perfectly satisfactory dates or major social engagements I can't win. I'll be able to sleep just fine that night, pleased as punch that I didn't say anything awkward, or neglect to do anything I regret omitting, but in the next couple nights my imagination will start to badger me about the smallest things:

"Couldn't you have smiled right then? I know you smiled nicely the rest of the night but you were neutral-faced just then and you look better when you smile" or "How about next time you try to not sound like you're from Utah quite as much?"

For. Crying. Out. Loud.

I think it's a case of "One Additional Bay Leaf" here*. For the record, I have like zero Utah accent. And I'm still immensely satisfied with my recent social endeavors. I just exhibit occasional craziness. Any advice on how to make my imagination shut up?

"My Medea" ~ Vienna Teng


*In case you don't get the reference, try this.

1 comment:

Kyra Moon said...

"I have like zero Utah accent."

"I like have, like, zero, Utah accent."

floral