Friday, November 30, 2012

that kind of grateful

Thanksgiving morning I sat down to complete my "I'm grateful for..." list that I've been compiling for a blog post, a la my 2009 adventure.

But then I paused. As much as I enjoy my vague and layered expressions of gratitude, they seemed to be missing something. Then I realized: In expressing gratitude for things, I wasn't paying enough attention to who I was expressing gratitude to.

About the time I realized that, I looked up at Kyra & Kevin and said, "Thank you for having me." It felt awkward but I also thought I'd better at least try to practice what I was deciding.

So I decided instead of posting my "I'm grateful for..." list, I would instead be more deliberately grateful to others for what I have.

Most important is my Heavenly Father, to whom I have expressed gratitude for my many blessings -- including most of my abandoned list (patience during traffic, for example -- I think that is definitely a divine gift). And to whom I am trying to remember to express gratitude a lot more often, for everything.

More mortal gratitude expression...I'm still working on. One of the things I was "grateful for..." this month was a book that I read twice in succession the first time I read it, and then when I picked it up at my grandparents' house again (because I couldn't help myself) I still loved it and cried and then picked it up again at the end to see if I could translate the character's voice in my head into my own voice (not very well, sadly, because I'd love to read it aloud to someone so they can hear it the way I do). I really should write this author a letter letting him know how much I've enjoyed this book of his and how grateful I am that he went to all the work to make it worth reading. I'm scared to, but I think we'll both appreciate the gesture if I ever get around to it.

And all the other people in my life that I haven't expressed gratitude to, sorry. Maybe I'll get to you too. For now, just know that I am grateful for your presence in my life.

Title Text: "The Last Snowfall"

2 comments:

Allie said...

Ooh, what book?

I'm grateful for YOU! <3

Leslie said...

"Okay for Now" by Gary D. Schmidt. I think I just read it at the right time and it had the right message for me, so I will always love it.

floral