Monday, June 30, 2014

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 47]

My ward is so big on family history right now. For our fifth Sunday discussion we were challenged to start reading family histories, looking up ancestors, etc. Since I just happened to have my grandfather's personal history (that he personally invited me to read, um, a while ago) I picked it up that day.

(My dad is described as having "limpid intelligence" which takes a lot of visualizing. An aunt that shall not be named is surely thrilled to go down in history as "somewhat peevish as an infant.")

Then we had a ward activity yesterday at the Salt Lake Cemetery. We met some people's ancestors and other famous Church history people buried there. Here's a quote that stuck out to me:
Each of us will be greatly blessed if we know the stories of faith and sacrifice that led our forefathers to join the Lord’s Church (William R. Walker, "Live True to the Faith," General Conference April 2014)
So I poked around on FamilySearch a little bit to find some ancestors that joined the Church. I found one really interesting story so far and I am sure there are more.

All in all, reading Granddaddy's personal history and some other ancestors has been a nice experience. I'm trying to collect some other histories and documents so I can know better what came before.

No comments:

floral