Monday, June 9, 2014

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 44]

Last week had a RS BBQ. No men allowed! We were ostensibly planning for our Elders Quorum Appreciation dinner next month (yeah, you know you're jealous of my ward) and there was a little bit of that, but mostly we just chatted and had a good time. I ... didn't meet anyone new but some people met me, so I'll just say I met some fun new people!

We started off with a spiritual thought, as you do, and it was appropriately from the Priesthood session. President Monson's talk, to be specific. We actually didn't talk a lot about how this applies to the men (sometimes we need reminders that they're not entirely stupid), but I feel like this is universally applicable, pretty much:
Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God’s approval.Courage becomes a living and an attractive virtue when it is regarded not only as a willingness to die manfully but also as the determination to live decently. As we move forward, striving to live as we should, we will surely receive help from the Lord and can find comfort in His words. I love His promise recorded in the book of Joshua:
“I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. …
“… Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”
I really like this quote. It's always good to know how to make God smile in approval (and apparently it is attractive so that's a win). My favorite part is probably "the determination to live decently" because isn't that everyone's goal? And that takes courage (helped along by a healthy dose of the Atonement).

1 comment:

Kaylie said...

I like you. and your blog.

floral