Thursday, January 30, 2014

o how glorious, glorious [Scripture Mastery Times: Moses 1:39]

The first scripture mastery of the Old Testament is Moses 1:39.
For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
I still have this one memorized; it's so nice and short. It's fairly easy to see why it's a scripture mastery: it tells us, straight from His mouth, what God is for, what He does, what He loves. It also lets us see what our purpose in life is: to gain immortality and eternal life. The basic doctrine this illustrates is "Plan of Salvation".

I can't remember what we discussed in Gospel Doctrine about this verse (except that there was quite a bit of discussion that I thought, "Oh I should probably keep this in mind for when I start that SM series," about). Then that week, or the next, I was reading the April 2013 General Conference and came across a talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard that is actually titled "This Is My Work and Glory." A couple of thoughts from that presentation struck a chord with what I need to learn from this verse, even though I couldn't remember which talk it had been when I finally sat down to write this post (you'd be surprised how many people mention 'glory' in General Conference).

Elder Ballard quoted D&C 81:4
And in doing [righteous service-y] things thou wilt do the greatest good unto thy fellow beings, and wilt promote the glory of him who is your Lord. (emphasis and brackets mine)
 I have an unfortunate tendency to want to take credit for, well, everything. If I ever had missionary or shepherding experiences I would be tempted to see primarily my hand in the effort, but that is wrong. Every good thing I do is for the glory of God. In return He gives me the greatest gift (not to mention all my other blessings)--so why should I not sing His praises all the day long?

Because it is His glory.

(There is so much in this verse I could talk about for so long, but at least for today, I'll keep it short.)

No comments:

floral