Monday, June 7, 2010

bones without names

One year ago, on June 5, I had "my surgery" to remove the tumor from my upper thigh. The mass they removed was about the size of my two fists clasped together. It was kind of a turning point in my treatment, and in my life.

So, since we all know I'm a "Note the Milestones" kind of gal, why didn't I post about my surgery on Saturday? Because I was commemorating it by spending the weekend in the hospital recovering from another surgery on June 4.

This was kind of a fun one! My femur is at pretty high risk for breaking, due to bending forces and the weakening that it suffered from radiation. So what they did is inserted a titanium nail (a hollow rod) down the middle of my bone. To hold it in place they drilled titanium screws into the bone at the top and bottom, near the hip and the knee.

What I'm going through right now is a very minor echo of what I went through last year (at this point last year, I still had about 3 more days to go in the hospital) but it's about as apt a memorial as anything else.

Maybe next year I'll decide to go skiing. That's something the surgery supposedly prevents me from doing. Or horseback riding. Or ... any number of things.


"Pontchartrain"

No comments:

floral