Monday, July 21, 2014

something keeps you faithful [Scripture Mastery Times: Genesis 39:9]

Last night I suddenly remembered that I went through a phase in my childhood where I would turn on "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" every night and sing/dance along to the whole CD. (Except for "Close Every Door." I usually skipped that one.)



Not only that, but I self-inserted like a pro. I settled on my favorite as Joseph's future girlfriend that followed him to Egypt (after I was so appalled by "One More Angel in Heaven" that I was like peace out, Canaanites and got myself to Egypt and Potiphar's household somehow) and was his secret support the whole show and I was so sympathetic and tried to get him not to be mean to his brothers (who, by the way, I had traveled to Canaan to get during the famine).

Pretty sure it ended with us getting married. And the Megamix was our reception party.

(My roommate was making fun of me for this story last night and I just had to say, "Listen, I am not ashamed of this. Plus I knew all the words to Joseph's Coat which was convenient for being a chorus member in our stake play.")

ANYWAY. Guess which character I totally hated? Potiphar's wife. Trying to steal my man? Not okay. (When I occasionally played as Benjamin's girlfriend and was more of a sister to Joseph, she was still bad news. Breaking of marriage contracts is a SERIOUS sin. I was so not on board with her agenda.)

In real life, or at least in the Bible, Joseph is a little more eloquent than in the play when rebuffing Potiphar's wife:
There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? (Genesis 39:9)
I've been thinking a little bit lately about why this is still a scripture mastery verse. The related Basic Doctrine is Commandments. And as far as commandments go, the one that Joseph is keeping in this verse is a big one: I'm a big proponent of fidelity. And chastity. And so is God.

I'm glad that we have this story and that Joseph was a good example of what to do when temptation comes (get out of there). It's a worthwhile scripture mastery.

No comments:

floral