Monday, December 23, 2013

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 21]

For Christmas this year I'm giving all of you the gift of understanding the hymn "Silent Night."

As you probably know, the hymn was originally written in German by Franz Gruber and Joseph Mohr. The English translation is not exactly reflective of the German (I checked this site to discover that one of the lines in German is "blessed boy in curly hair" which I think is pretty darling but not very doctrinal).

I really like the English words, but the way they pair with the melody is often very confusing. Only last week I told my roommate that the line was 'All is bright surrounding the mother and child over there' and not referring to a rotund mom. So my gift to you is a deeper understanding of this beloved Christmas hymn.

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright 'round yon virgin mother and child.
Holy infant so tender and mild, sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heav'nly hosts sing alleluia
Christ the Savior is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light radiant[ly] beams from thy holy face with the dawn of redeeming grace.
Jesus, Lord at thy birth.
 May it bless your life.

No comments:

floral