Tuesday, November 12, 2013

the conversation turns

For some reason, this morning I remembered how much I hate the "complimentary/complementary" mix-up. I'm going to post about it on the off-chance it will let me forget about it, and if I'm very lucky it will also help some of you mend your ways.

(Actually I think most of my followers already know the difference, so I am preaching to the choir. You guys really sing in tune! (I can be complimentary))

When you use the word "compliment" or "complimentary" you are referring to someone saying a nice thing to someone else. "Cute hair today! Wow I'm really impressed by your skills on the Wii.* I like your face."

When you use the word "complement" or "complementary" you are referring to the way two things fit together. (Right now I can only think of "complementary colors" and "complementary bases", which do each fit together quite well.)

So when you are talking about your one true love on the Facebook, and say passionately, "We really compliment each other!" I know you are probably speaking true because new lovers often compliment each other. "Ah, how your eyes speak to my soul. Look at you, hottie." That sort of thing.

But what you probably meant was that you "complement each other" because you feel complete with the other. You fit together well. It's very important for lovers to feel that way too.

The point I'm trying to make is that good relationships should be both complimentary and complementary.

But DNA and colors are never complimentary. Because they don't have enough sentience to form nice thoughts about their complements.

If they did it might be like this:
I have long loved this image. It's such a play on words that only people like me that are uptight about complimentary bases can truly appreciate.
I plead with you to pay more attention to your compliments to be sure you are not meant to be complementing instead. Alternatively, don't complement people when all you mean to do is compliment them (seeing that error more and more lately).

And that's all I have to say about that.

*Edit, next day: I just realized that I forgot to follow-up on my asterisk! I was just going to say that my roommates and I have been playing the Wii lately and no one has ever had occasion to say that to me. Nor are they likely to anytime soon. But at least we're having fun.

No comments:

floral