Monday, August 26, 2013

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 04]

I saw this little image and thought it might look nice on my blog:



If you can't read it because it's in cursive, it says, "Many of the deepest regrets of tomorrow can be prevented by following the Savior today" -- President Uchtdorf (from this talk)

I've been pondering that quote for a little while. I believe it's true, but I've been wondering if there are any examples from my own life where it applies.

Most of my biggest regrets to this point are not being a little bit kinder, of stepping outside my comfort zone to make someone comfortable. That's what the Savior would've done, so yes, it applies.

Then I thought for a few minutes about decisions ahead I might regret -- dating someone, not dating someone, marrying someone (or not marrying someone), moving to the right place, doing the right
things with my life -- Am I nervous about these things? Yes!

But what President Uchtdorf suggests is that if I follow the Savior, my regrets will be less than otherwise.

In my Book of Mormon reading this week I came across 1 Nephi 20:18 that I thought went well with this topic:

18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments—then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea.

If we follow the Savior we can have peace, knowing that we made, if not all the right decisions, at least mostly the best ones we could. And I know I much prefer peace to the stress of regret.

No comments:

floral