Monday, August 12, 2013

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 02]

You know what, I really like our Church leaders. I especially admire and desire to emulate the women that hold leadership positions -- the General Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary Presidencies. I love the way they talk about their husbands and families. I like the way they present on doctrines and principles unflinchingly.

This past week I had the opportunity to attend/participate in the Seminaries & Institutes of Religion August Broadcast. Sister Linda K. Burton was one of the speakers and I really, really loved her talk. I would use it for this week's Mormon Monday, but I feel like I should wait until the transcript comes out. If you want, you can listen to it here (her talk begins around 1h10. If you want to hear me participating, start at like 1h07).

A couple months ago we had a tri-ward campout over in Huntsville. Sister Dalton came and spoke to us at the historic McKay home. I unfortunately don't have any notes from that talk either, but I can tell you this: She loves her Savior, and she has trusted Him throughout her life.

But there is a favorite message of Sister Dalton's that I will share with you now: her CES Devotional from September 2009. I have watched, listened, and read this message multiple times throughout the years. I should be more consistent, though, because I always need a reminder of these principles.

It's called "Zion is the Pure in Heart".

She says,
 When Peter wrote his epistle to the early Saints, he told them to “add to [their] faith virtue” (2 Peter 1:5). Faith without virtue would soon languish and die because without virtue there is no purity. Without virtue there is no strength. And without virtue there is no spirituality. It is clear that once you really understand who you are, you must be pure because purity precedes spiritual power.10 The power of which I am speaking is not the kind of power we see in the world. It has nothing to do with fame, position, good looks, celebrity, or wealth. The power and strength of which I am speaking has everything to do with virtue, which is chastity and sexual purity.

I want that power in my life. Not only that, but I think I need it to survive in this world-- I think we all need it. It's easy for me to see that virtue is declining in society but I can also see that there are many strong and powerful youth and adults that are adhering to their virtue with all their might.

I believe virtue is not only the key to power, but a secret to revelation. Am I getting enough revelation in my life? If not, am I going through the steps (I'll probably post on that later)? Is there any pattern in my thought or behavior that is not virtuous? The Lord wants to speak to us but sometimes certain aspects of our lives make it difficult to hear.

Next week I'll discuss Sister Dalton's suggestions to remain virtuous in a toxic world.

No comments:

floral