Friday, December 30, 2011

Bible in the nightstand drawer saying "Go on, open up"

Well, that was typical.

Back in October, we had a RS training meeting where we each got a new Book of Mormon and the recommendation to read it, looking for certain phrases.  I thought, "Why not read the whole thing by the end of the year? I'll be all ready for us to start it again for Sunday School." We'd been given a 90-day schedule and I figured in order to finish in time I started reading two or three days at a time (I only had like 72 days, which is tons harder than 90).

And then I stopped being in the habit of finding this new Book of Mormon and reading from it. It wasn't in a convenient place. I had other things to do during the day, and at night I wasn't going to leave my bed and go find the special book to read from (I had a different one by my bed that I would choose a chapter or so to read instead, on those days that I hadn't read already...which became more and more frequent).  It got to the point where I was halfway through December and only halfway through Mosiah.

Kind of like last time we read the Book of Mormon on a schedule.  I was still valiantly skimming in the evening on Dec 31, wishing that I'd kept to my goals better.  I did perform slightly more admirably this year; I totally could've finished yesterday, but there's been something else going on at my house.

Appropriately, it's a Book of Mormon readathon.  It's really distracting to try and read in Mormon when people in the other room are reading in Mosiah. So I gave up and joined them.  I've had to find some quiet minutes the past two days to do my own reading.

And I finished; that's what matters.  Actually, what matters is I need better self-discipline. If I treat my final projects like this I'm going to be in a sorry state.

But I am glad I finished. I like that book a lot. I hope that I can remember to open it up and read it every day.


"Homecoming (Walter's Song)"

No comments:

floral