Sunday, May 29, 2011

oh call my name; you know my name (and in your love everything will change)

Today during church I came up with a new calling just perfect for singles wards. I was surveying some of the gentlemen in my ward who just have trouble dating. I think it was the talks during sacrament meeting that brought the idea to mind, then during Sunday School I wrote it down.

(During combined RS/EQ we had an Institute teacher come give a lesson on marriage, which would've been an awesome coincidence if I hadn't known for a while that would be the topic, since I'm all in-the-know now and everything.)

Here it is.

Suggested Calling:

Relationship Status Coordinator(s)
Responsibilities:
  • Keep tabs on ward members and their romances.
  • Organize and update lists of single sisters (and brethren?) for the EQ (and RS?) to use in their dating endeavors.
  • Suggest girls for each brother to ask out (not setting up or matchmaking, necessarily, just making names available). Again, if girls want to know what brethren are available, their names can also be suggested.
  • Encourage regular, casual dating
*Note: A Stake Coordinator may be useful in those areas where most YSAs know people outside the ward and want to branch out, or if dating within the ward has lost its luster.


Please let this be a real calling somewhere. If not, maybe I'll bring this up to the bishop in ward council next week. Maybe I can supplement my current calling with this. It's all about loving and caring for the girls, right?

Title text: "Nothing Without You" ~ Vienna Teng

2 comments:

Wes and Dani said...

This is a real calling. Jessame once had a singles ward where there was an official "Ward Matchmaker." For real.

Leslie said...

Yep, that's the proof I was looking for! (I knew I'd heard of something like this before.)

Though, of course, I'd hesitate to call my idea a matchmaker...


Oh oh oh! Ideally it'd be an engaged girl (or engaged couple) so in their encouragement they could throw in platitudes like "You'll be so much happier, trust me. I can only hope you'll be as lucky as me. Just go for it! That's what worked for me!" That'd be awesome.

floral