Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I see what I destroy

Things that make me cringe (literally, physically):

Santa Clause
It's Santa Claus. I don't know if I should blame that Tim Allen movie or what, but almost no one I know can spell it right, and it shouldn't be that hard!

An-GEL
No one actually says an-GEL. It's more of a singing thing. I used to be okay with it, but now I'm not. I shouldn't be hearing it. Thank goodness the ward Christmas program is on Sunday and I won't have to hear it again for a while.

Lezlie
Not sure why people can't say my name. Sometimes I don't notice, but I have some friends that really emphasize the 'z' and I'm like, you've known me for how long? I keep wondering if I should bring it up but then they might feel bad because they've been mispronouncing my name for years (you'd think the cringe would clue them in).

When my brother is mad at me he'll call me Lezlie. It's the worst thing he can think of (that won't get him in trouble).

And, like, it's not a huge deal. I still answer to it. I dated a guy for a while before he realized he'd been saying it wrong, so it wasn't an immediate deal-breaker. But, well, it is my name. And it's said with an 's'.

Showing Off
Sometimes a young girl I know will raise her hand and be a know-it-all. Pretty much every time I cringe. Can't help it. It's worse because I sometimes make myself cringe. I've long called myself the "Ward Choir Hermione" and it's only worse now that I am an accompanist (and thus, in my mind, in a position of "authority"). I can't shut myself up, just like I can't shut that other girl up.



There are other things that annoy me, but these are the ones that I can't help but manifest my annoyance with. I think it says a lot about me, unfortunately.

"My Medea"

1 comment:

The Rick from Boise said...

When people say "Lezlie" you can just simply correct them by saying that the Z is silent. That's what I do when people pronounce Boise "Boy-zee". (or maybe it would be more appropriate to say the Z is invisible?)

floral