Sunday, January 24, 2010

I've no intention of confessing today

Today in Relief Society we were talking about communication. In theory, I am such a huge fan of communication. In practice, I tend to fail.

The topic of the day was Elder Bednar's talk "More Diligent and Concerned at Home." While on the subject of telling your family you love them, a girl raised her hand and said, "This is good advice for dating relationships too; we need to be open and honest about the way we feel. In fact, this is what I like about [boy she's marrying this week]...."

This is something I've long been a proponent of -- ever since my Marriage Prep class last year, where we discussed communication (and various derivative topics) for most of the semester. We even learned a new way to DTR that employs good communication skills. I love the idea of not having to play guessing games.

Well, turns out, when it comes to practical application, I am not open and honest about the way I feel. I've had interactions with one or two boys since Marriage Prep (not since today's Relief Society lesson though[1]) and I hardly ever feel the urge to tell them where I think the relationship is (something should be in quotes there, but I'm not sure which part). I shouldn't be afraid to tell anyone "Hey, I'm glad that we are friends" or "I'm interested in you, just for your information" or "Please leave me alone, I'm not enthusiastic about our friendship" etc.

Oh well. I am.

Consider this post a resolve to do better. If I feel like telling someone how I feel about them, I'm going to do it. If I don't feel like saying anything, I guess I won't.

It'll be easier if everyone I know makes the same resolve.


"Unwritten Letter #1" ~ Vienna Teng


[1] You know why this is? It's because the clock in the Relief Society room is 5 minutes fast!

2 comments:

Lena Phillips said...

Leslie, I absolutely love your blog. Your stories are so... well I don't think there is a single word to describe them. Sometimes they make me stop and ponder, sometimes they make me appreciate the simple things more, other times they absolutely crack me up. You are, as I'm sure you already know, a very talented writer and I love how you can turn the simplest events into something worthwhile and amusing. You are good.

Leslie said...

Oh, thank you Lena! Your compliments made me smile so big.

floral