Monday, June 15, 2015

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 77]

Someone called me spiritually stunted yesterday. At least, insinuated that my taste in books (oh, I should post a vlog) is leading me to spiritual stunting. I was a little bit offended and thought "Would a spiritually stunted person post a faith-promoting message on her blog every Monday...ending two months ago?" Hmm.

I really thought I just didn't feel like posting a Mormon Monday for a few weeks, and then I just got out of the habit. But maybe it's just that I'm, you know, stunted.

Well, baby steps back in again. Got to promote some growth somehow.

A song that I've been thinking a lot about this week is "Nephi's Courage." It's a great song! I played it on the piano a few days ago and it's sort of been in my head ever since. It struck me that it's pretty much been since Primary that I've heard Nephi described as "courageous." Full of faith, yes. Giving us an example of receiving revelation, yes.

But on pondering the song I've realized that following the Spirit is really brave. I don't think I would be brave enough to follow the promptings Nephi received, at least not at this stunted stage of my life. Even humbly going into the wilderness with his family was brave.

There are quite a few courageous things we're called on to do, starting with keeping the Lord's commandments. Keeping on keeping on when life looks dreary. Keeping the faith. That's all the "keep" things I can think of right now.

Anyway, it can be hard to keep doing these things. But we should be like Nephi! Reach deep within ourselves and be determined to have courage. I can be courageous, and I can reply, "I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands. I know the Lord provides a way, he wants me to obey."

No comments:

floral