Monday, March 30, 2015

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 75]

This past week we had an opportunity to listen to Sister Mary N. Cook talk about some of her life experiences and impart some wisdom to us as a YSA stake. It was great. She based her remarks on the following scripture in Ezekiel:
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye. (Ezekiel 18:32)
God doesn't want us to waste away in waiting, whether that's waiting to die or waiting for something in your life to happen. It's kind of like He's saying, I don't want your pointless life any more than you want your life to be pointless, so do something about it. Make of your life a masterpiece.

It also reminds me of this character from Pollyanna:


 She spends all her time in bed, waiting to die. And making everyone's lives miserable. No one wants to be around her.

Then she meets Pollyanna, who helps her turn herself into someone that's glad to be alive.

Starting with stepping out of the bed.
Sister Cook's three suggestions on ways to 'turn ourselves' were to Learn, Strengthen ties with family, and Serve in the Church. I think. I didn't actually take notes. But I know that those are excellent ways to turn our thoughts to things other than just waiting to 'die'. As it were.

It was a very uplifting program. I have a lot to think about as a result. Great way to spend a birthday.

No comments:

floral