Monday, March 9, 2015

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 73]

The music I copied over in my great hard drive rescue a couple months ago is not at all organized. Every once in a while I'll click into a random folder to see what's there. And I found The Ahrens Band in one of them!

My freshman boyfriend's second counselor in the bishopric of his home ward was in a band at BYU. He gave me the CD as a token of our relationship, or something. He didn't like it that much.

But I like it! Listening to it again after several years of forgetting about it was an exercise in familiarity. Some of these songs were on my "Sunday Sounds" playlist, which meant I listened to them weekly for a couple years.

Including "stand tall" whose lyrics I found very touching as I sat there on a Friday night, aimlessly playing 2048 (if I had to guess) and listening to music. I don't necessarily love it, but there's just something about some of the lines here:

Walking through this life I lose my way
Walking off the path I stumble and fall Listening through the tears I hear a voice
Listening deep within I hear it call
Don't give up

Don't stay down
Don't ever feel like you've been beaten
Stand up
Stand tall
Stand and walk on the path again

Looking forward I see the trail
Looking ahead find my way once more
Climbing to greater heights I see the view
Climbing, stumbling blocks turned stepping-stones

Don't give up
Don't stay down
Don't ever feel like you've been beaten
Stand up
Stand tall
Stand and walk on the path again

Sometimes in life we don't know where we're going
Sometimes we stumble and lose our way
We need to hold on to the dream that we've created
And always in our minds they'll say

Don't give up
Don't stay down
Don't ever feel like you've been beaten
Stand up
Stand tall
Stand and walk on the path again
Stand and walk on the path again
My favorite part is the imagery of stumbling blocks turned stepping stones. And the encouragement we all have to return and repent after we've fallen into a little spot of sin. Stand up, stand tall.

If you're interested in hearing more of The Ahrens Band, they put their music on iTunes (including the famous "peanut butter and jelly" which was written by them) for purchase! (Or you can just come over and I'll play it for you.)

No comments:

floral