Monday, January 19, 2015

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 68]

This morning I was trying to source a quotation my Relief Society president used in church yesterday and in that searching found "Improving Our Prayers" by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, a BYU devotional he gave in 2003.

(Shout-out to Elder Wirthlin who's coming through on MM a lot lately!)

I really liked this devotional. As often happens, I am thinking a lot about prayer and how I can be better, and not only does Elder Wirthlin discuss some reasons our prayers might not work (lack of faith, lack of charity, etc.) he also provides a scriptural pattern for prayer -- and it's not even the Lord's Prayer! (The Lord's Prayer is a nice pattern for prayer, but it's not the only one.)

It's Psalm 37. I'm thinking of trying some of these things to improve the efficacy of my prayers.
1. Fret not (Ps. 37:1). Stop worrying. I have found myself saying to friends lately, "I can always find something to worry about." And it's so dumb. Elder Wirthlin says, "When we worry about the future, we create unhappiness in the present....Instead of worrying, focus on doing all that you can, and then leave the worrying to your Heavenly Father. If your heart is right with Him, He will take care of the worry and the fear." 
2. Trust in the Lord (Ps. 37:3). Do you believe that God loves you? He is the giver of all good gifts. He will come through for us. 
3. Do good (Ps. 37:3). From Elder Wirthlin: "We do good because we are followers of Christ. We do good because we are members of His church. We do good because we have made solemn covenants to serve as a light unto the world.Our Heavenly Father expects our actions to serve as a living testimony to ourwords. As we do good, the Lord can bless our efforts." 
4. Delight thyself also in the Lord (Ps. 37:4). Be grateful and happy with the blessings the Lord has already given, and the assurance that He will continue to bless your life in ways you don't expect. 
5. Commit thy way unto the Lord (Ps. 37:5). Keep the commandments. Keep the covenants. Cleave unto the principles of light and truth. Keep up your end of the bargain. 
6. Rest in the Lord (Ps. 37:6). Be patient. (Easiest part.) "When we rest in the Lord, we allow Him to work His will for us in His own time and in His own way."
I like these ideas (and the rest of the address). Perhaps next week if I can source my RSP I'll share her further insight (or maybe I'll just spread the unsubstantiated quote -- it's a good one).

No comments:

floral