Friday, November 21, 2014

here it is the knock of your own heart that matters [Scripture Mastery Times: 1 Samuel 16:7]

 So. This scripture sometimes makes me uncomfortable.
But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.(1 Samuel 16:7)
The thought is great! It doesn't matter what we look like, whether we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are famous or forgotten (x). In such an appearance-based world, that kind of reassurance can be really comforting...

...unless you are really not sure what the Lord sees in your heart. Is there even anything there beneath the pride? Are any of my motives for doing good the right ones, or are they still rooted in self-consciousness, arrogance, lack of humility?

At least I look good.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the cure for all this (having a prideful heart as well as worrying about having a prideful heart) is to develop a relationship with the Savior and with Heavenly Father. Even if my motives for beginning it are not the purest (for example, if I want the blessings of increased faith and reliance on the Atonement...because I totally want that), God can change my heart if I let Him. And I'll let Him when I trust Him.

So that's my work in progress. I'll let you know how it went in the next life.

No comments:

floral