Monday, September 8, 2014

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 54]

This morning on the train I happened to read Elder Holland's 2012 CES Devotional, "Israel, Israel, God is Calling." I am pretty sure I hadn't reread it since I first heard it, so that was a nice way to spend a commute.

Then for our department devotional we happened to sing the hymn of the same name! I realized that I was probably supposed to learn something from this. Or at least share something about it.

Babylon is all around us, and it doesn't look like it's falling. God shall all their towers o'erthrow, but not just yet. So now the question is, canst we linger still in error's gloomy ways? I think we'd better not. There's no justification for vain delays in repentance and coming to Zion in our lives.

Here's a nice paragraph from Elder Holland's address that really spoke to me:
It is easy to be righteous when things are calm and life is good and everything is going smoothly. The test is when there is real trial or temptation, when there is pressure and fatigue, anger and fear, or the possibility of real transgression. Can we be faithful then? That is the question because “Israel, Israel, God is calling.” Such integrity is, of course, the majesty of “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”—right when forgiving and understanding and being generous about your crucifiers is the last thing that anyone less perfect than the Savior of the world would want to do. But we have to try; we have to wish to be strong. Whatever the situation or the provocation or the problem, no true disciple of Christ can “check his religion at the door.”
Have a good day.

No comments:

floral