Wednesday, March 5, 2014

noble and prized [Scripture Mastery Times: Abraham 3:22-23]

Whenever I read or think about this scripture, I am reminded of my Mission Prep class. It was a big class, over a hundred people. I don't remember that much about the class (in part due to dropping out halfway through), but I do remember one occasion in particular.

We read this scripture:

22 Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones;
23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born.
Then our teacher did something that may not have been appropriate. He had us show, by raise of hands, how many of us had the phrase "noble and great ones" in our patriarchal blessings.

The majority of the class had their hands raised.

When we discussed this scripture in Sunday School a few weeks ago, we learned that "noble and great ones" refers to the leaders of the Church. No one seemed willing to bring up that we are among them (at least if my experience in mission prep is any guide). And since I wasn't sure my memory was made-up or not, I didn't want to derail the lesson too much.

The purpose of the noble and great ones is discussed in D&C 138:56:
56 Even before they were born, they, with many others, received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men.
I don't think that you need to be a prophet, or even the Relief Society president, to fulfill this foreordination. We can all labor in the Lord's vineyard.

The basic doctrine this scripture helps strengthen is the Plan of Salvation, with an emphasis on premortal life.

No comments:

floral