Monday, February 24, 2014

followers of my faith [Mormon Monday 30]

I just found another old sacrament meeting talk I gave. You might find some excerpts of that talk the next few weeks. Because why mess with the current trend?

At the end of the talk I pulled out this quote from Elder Maxwell:

“Photosynthesis, the most important single chemical reaction, brings together water, light, chlorophyll, and carbon dioxide, processing annually the hundreds of trillions of tons of carbon dioxide, converting them to oxygen as part of the process of making food and fuel. The marvelous process of photosynthesis is crucial to life on this planet, and it is a very constant and patient process. So, too, is an individual’s spiritual growth. Neither patience nor photosynthesis are conspicuous processes. 
Patience is always involved in the spiritual chemistry of life—not only when it helps us turn trials and tribulations, the carbon dioxide, as it were, into joy and growth, but also when it builds upon the seemingly ordinary experiences to bring about happy, spiritual outcomes. 
Patience is, therefore, clearly not fatalistic, shoulder-shrugging resignation; it is accepting a divine rhythm to life; it is obedience prolonged. Patience stoutly resists pulling up the daisies to see how the roots are doing!” (source)
Here's the best part of this quotation: for many years it was my default "Busy" status on Google Talk. I loved that it was a religious quote using my area of expertise at the time. Also it's a really great message about what patience really means.

A message that I constantly find I need to hear again.

No comments:

floral