Monday, May 6, 2013

this is the same place

You know what I think about every day? Elevator etiquette.

I take the elevator fairly often:
Up from the parking garage
Up from the main floor
Down to lunch
Up from lunch
Down to the main floor
Down to my parking level

(Not always this number of times -- when I take the trax I don't include the parking garage in my daily plans, sometimes I bring my own lunch, sometimes I have meetings on other floors)

Every time I get in the elevator is a new experience, a new etiquette question to answer. Where do I stand so  I'm not in anyone's way if they get off at a different floor than I do? That girl got on the elevator before me and we're getting off the same floor. Do I let her go first or do I go first? Is that guy going to follow usual elevator etiquette and let the ladies go first?

(It's usually a relief when I'm the only one on an elevator.)

Conversations on an elevator are also a conundrum. Usually nobody talks at all. But sometimes people will start to talk to each other (usually after lunch: I most often have someone tell me how yummy my frozen yogurt looks). Sometimes there's already a conversation going on and I have to pretend I can't hear it. (Or pretend to be mildly interested.)

Isn't it nice to have something to expand the mind every day? (Not that overhauling the way I take meeting minutes hasn't been an exciting use of time today.)

No comments:

floral