Friday, January 1, 2016

I can trace all my books [2015]

Happy New Year! Right now I'm uploading a 2015 book recap for my vlog. It's taking forever -- not sure if it's the phone or the internet at home (both unusual quantities for my videos). So I have plenty of time to write a blog post about books too.

Of the ~150 books I checked out this year, I can single out ~30 that I really enjoyed and recommend. Man am I ever grateful I learned how to be picky and not force myself to finish every single book I try.

I am pretty sure I filmed myself liking more than 30 books. And I am kind of regretting not mentioning Bone Gap in my video. Oh well. I guess it's not the be-all end-all 2015 recap. You can also just watch all my vlogs to give you a good sense of the books I liked.

But here's a list. Lists are fun.

In the category of ongoing/finished series that I have enjoyed this year are the following:

  • The Glamourist Histories by Mary Robinette Kowal -- complete (I haven't completed it but the series is complete). First book is Shades of Milk and Honey
  • The Paper Magician Series by Charlie N. Holmberg -- complete
  • Finishing School by Gail Carriger -- complete (I have the final book on hold)
  • Tales of Arilland by Alethea Kontis -- complete (? I think). The first book is Enchanted (and that's the best one)
  • The Otherworld Series by Skylar Dorset -- complete. The first book is The Girl Who Never Was
  • Duplexity by Amy K. Nichols -- complete (I have the final book checked out). The first book is Now that You're Here
  • Tyme Series by Megan Morrison -- just starting. The first book is Grounded
  • The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey -- just starting.
  • The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows -- just starting
  • The Gold Seer Trilogy by Rae Carson -- just starting. First book "Walk on Earth a Stranger"
  • The Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff -- just starting
  • The Starbound Trilogy by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner -- complete (I have the final book on hold). First book is 'These Broken Stars"
  • The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer -- complete.
  • Elemental Blessings by Sharon Shinn -- complete? First book is Troubled Waters
Haha that's not a ton of books or anything. And I'm not even done.


Here's a list of fairytale adaptations I read this year and also other books by the same author that are not necessarily in a series (how's that for a specific list):

  • Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay. Also the author of Of Beast and Beauty which I really liked when I read it in 201...4. Nope, 2013.
  • Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. Also Crimson Bound! I read them both this year
  • Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis. I have Spinning Starlight checked out right now and I'm excited
Here's a list of other books I really liked. They're either fairytale adaptations or have heavy elements of fairy and folk tale. I know who I am:
  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  • Valiant by Sarah McGuire
  • Illusionarium by Heather Dixon (actually this one is not an adaptation as far as I can tell -- it wins)
  • Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (actually this is the most original -- but it didn't come out this year either, so...)
Hey my video is finished uploading! Here it is! If you're wondering why it's worth watching when I've already listed everything right here for you I have two compelling reasons:
  1. My face
  2. I discuss my reading resolution for 2016! Don't you want to know what it is?


No comments:

floral