Wednesday, May 21, 2014

sing along to the radio

Today I just feel like posting some fun facts about some popular songs.

1. The following song has been my hands-down favorite song for six months. I'm so glad it's suddenly getting played on the radio! (Just in time for me to lose interest in it, I guess...?) The feeling I get when I listen to it reminds me that I am allowed to hold out for someone that makes me feel that way.

I Choose You by Sara Bareilles on Grooveshark


2. I found out on the internet that "eheu" is Latin for "Alas!" which is what the background singers in this song are saying. If I were hanging around Mount Vesuvius on the wrong day, I'd probably be saying "Alas" too.

Pompeii by Bastille on Grooveshark


3. Last night I heard this song on the radio, which I hadn't heard for a while. It immediately reminded me of our family tradition for this song, which is to pick one random note and stick with it the entire song. Depending on the note, you could be in harmony for half of the song, or none of it. With five of us singing at once (all different notes), it's a beautiful cacophony. (Took me 3 tries to spell that word, by the way.)

Hey, Soul Sister by Train on Grooveshark


4. Finally, this song was a formative influence on our family. Any time there is an opportunity to sing it (including about peas), we do. (But just the man's part. The infantile woman makes me uncomfortable and I wanna give her the "fweeze".) Sunday night was the most recent time, but like I said, you're polite around cheese or peas and I break out the scatting.


1 comment:

Kaylie said...

ha I love it! So true about passing the peas. I've found myself almost singing it other times. (literally this last week I think I almost sung it at Derek's parent's house.)

floral